Category: Shadyside

  • Queen Anne House in Shadyside

    Queen Anne House

    A particularly fine Queen Anne style house on Morewood Avenue. The big roof reminds old Pa Pitt of turn-of-the-twentieth-century German architecture.

  • Colonial Place

    Colonial Place

    Colonial Place, off Ellsworth Avenue, is one of those little one-street enclaves in Shadyside that shut out the world as much as they can to create a tiny insular community. The architect here was George S. Orth, who also designed a couple of prominent millionaires’ mansions in Allegheny West. The landscape design by E. H. Bachman was just as important, and the sycamore trees he specified have matured into elegant sculptures as attractive when the leaves are off as they are in full leaf.

    Colonial Place
    Colonial Place
  • First Unitarian Church, Shadyside

    First Unitarian Church

    A small but substantial Gothic church that could easily pass for a church from any other denomination.

  • Renaissance Palace in Shadyside

    Renaissance house

    A fine example of Pittsburgh’s interpretation of the Italian Renaissance. The extremely simple form is varied by a few well-chosen details. Enlarge the picture and note the Greek-key pattern along the gutter.

  • Church of the Ascension, Shadyside

    Church of the Ascension

    We looked at the Church of the Ascension a little while ago. Here is a view of the entire south side of it that took twelve individual photographs to capture. That is the kind of effort old Pa Pitt is willing to put into documenting his city’s architecture for you, his beloved readers. The whole picture is nearly 11 megabytes, so don’t click or tap on it if you’re on a metered connection.

  • Gargoyles on the Church of the Ascension

  • First Trinity Lutheran Church, Shadyside

    First Trinity Lutheran Church

    With its half-timbered parsonage, First Trinity Lutheran Church forms a little medieval enclave on a street of apartment buildings.

    Cornerstone
    Inscription
    Sunday-school wing
    Parsonage
  • Ellsworth Terrace

    Ellsworth Terrace

    Shadyside is full of these little enclaves of townhouses, improbably narrow streets (or simply pedestrian walkways) that shut out the world and create their own little enclosed communities. Ellsworth Terrace, built in 1913, is a fine example of early-twentieth-century arts-and-crafts design. Wikipedia lists the architect as William H. Justice, but with a question mark after the name. The pseudo-Victorian building to the right is a much more recent condominium.

  • Church of the Ascension, Shadyside

    Church of the Ascension

    The Church of the Ascension was designed by William Halsey Wood, a master of Gothic architecture who died very young, at 41, but nevertheless left a substantial body of work. Here he seems to have concentrated his efforts on the massive tower.

    Tower
    Parish foundation
    This church was builded in the years 1897 and 1898
    Cornerstone
    Medallion

    Compare these recent pictures to the Father Pitt’s pictures of the same church in 2013.

  • Alexander M. Guthrie House, Shadyside

    Alexander M. Guthrie House

    This exceptionally fine country house on Ellsworth Avenue has been absorbed by the city, but maintains its rural dignity. It was built just after the Civil War in about 1870, and all the best features of the era are represented—generous porch, huge tall windows, and a dignified but not monotonous simplicity of form.