Father Pitt

Why should the beautiful die?


First Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Shadyside

Inscription: Trinity Church, the First German Evangelical Lutheran Congregation

The First German Evangelical Lutheran Church was founded in 1837, and it was downtown, or on the edge of downtown, at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue, until the commercial development of downtown Pittsburgh had scattered the congregation and made the land too valuable to keep. We can see from this building that the congregation had money to spend when the church moved to the East End. The architects were the Cleveland firm of Corbusier, Lenski & Foster (not that Le Corbusier, we should point out),(1) who were much in demand as church designers, though this is the only one of their designs old Pa Pitt has found in Pittsburgh so far. By the time this church opened in 1928, the congregation was bilingual, with services in German and in English; so the new church was called Trinity Church.

Entrance
West Front
Tower
First Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
First Trinity
First Trinity
Lantern

Not hidden under a bushel.

Parsonage

The parsonage was designed by the same architects and built at the same time as the church.

Parsonage
Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR.

Footnotes


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *