The Canyon

Looking eastward on Fourth Avenue

Looking eastward on Fourth Avenue from the intersection with Wood Street.

Union National Bank Building

Union National Bank Building

Now converted to luxury apartments as “The Carlyle,” this classical Fourth Avenue bank tower was designed by the firm of MacClure and Spahr. Benno Janssen, who was working at the firm, is said to have had a large part in the design. It opened in 1906. Curiously, the building behind it, the Commonwealth Bank Building, was built at the same time and reached exactly the same height, 300 feet.

Fourth Avenue

Looking east on Fourth Avenue

A view eastward on Fourth Avenue, one of the most architecturally interesting streetscapes in the world.

Reliefs by John Massey Rhind on the People’s Savings Bank Building

Relief by John Massey Rhind

John Massey Rhind was Andrew Carnegie’s favorite sculptor; he gave us the Noble Quartet in front of the Carnegie Institute and the statue of Robert Burns outside Phipps Conservatory. Here he gives us some allegorical figures to adorn the entrances to the People’s Savings Bank’s splendid tower at Fourth Avenue and Wood Street. Not altogether coincidentally, the building itself was designed by Alden & Harlow, Carnegie’s favorite architects, whose firm (with their earlier partner Longfellow) was also responsible for the Carnegie Institute. Above, the Wood Street side; below, the Fourth Avenue side.

Fourth Avenue side

Reflection of the Union National Bank Building

Union National Bank building reflected

The top of the Union National Bank Building (now the Carlyle luxury apartments) reflected in the Patterson Building.