Category: Homewood

  • Homewood Presbyterian Church (Bethesda Presbyterian Church), Homewood

    Homewood Presbyterian Church (Bethesda Presbyterian Church)

    Thomas Hannah designed this unusual church, which was built in about 1917.1 We find many churches in Pittsburgh where the sanctuary is upstairs, with Sunday-school rooms and social halls on the ground floor; this appears to be one of the very few where there are rooms above the sanctuary. It is still Presbyterian, but in 1961 came into the hands of the Bethesda United Presbyterian congregation.

    Bethesda United Presbyterian Church plaque
    Homewood Presbyterian Church (Bethesda Presbyterian Church)
    Homewood Presbyterian Church (Bethesda Presbyterian Church)
    Entrance, Homewood Presbyterian Church (Bethesda Presbyterian Church)
    Tympanum
    Entrance to the Homewood Presbyterian Church (Bethesda Presbyterian Church)
    Tower
    Tower
    Ornamental frieze
    Windows and brickwork

    When you look at this church, it looks back.

    Eyeball window

    Comments
  • Rowhouses by Frederick Scheibler, Homewood

    One of the houses

    These houses were built in 1910, and nothing like their brisk modernity had been seen in Pittsburgh. Frederick Scheibler was our most adventurous modernist in those days, and these would have been approved by the Bauhaus ten or twenty years later.

    Two houses in near-original condition

    The two houses on the upper end of the upper row have been kept in near-original condition, though they are in less than perfect shape.

    The same two houses
    Row of houses

    In the rest of the row, different ownerships have sent the houses careening off in various directions.

    Looking up the hill
    7908 and 7906 Hamilton Avenue
    7908–7902
    Four houses
    Four houses
    Canon PowerShot SX20 IS.

    Like many architects of terraces like these, Scheibler repeated this design in multiple locations. Apparently both Scheibler and his clients considered the design a success. We’ll be seeing more of these little houses.


    Comments
  • Alpha Apartments, Homewood

    Alpha Apartments

    This apartment building with Renaissance details was built in about 1905. The architect was A. E. Linkenheimer,1 about whom old Pa Pitt knows very little so far.

    Alpha Apartments

    The name of the building is interesting, because it is the name of a project that was planned at about the same time nearby at the intersection of Penn and East End Avenues, where Titus de Bobula was to supervise an immense $600,000 Alpha Apartment Hotel. That project fell through; at the moment Father Pitt does not know that the name was anything more than coincidence.

    Alpha Apartments
    Front entrance

    This building is under sentence of condemnation, but it does not appear to be in such bad shape that it could not be rescued. Homewood is not rich, but there has been some renovation going on in nearby streets.

    Alpha Apartments

    The Braddock Avenue side has its own neatly symmetrical façade.

    Rear section
    Side entrance
    Canon PowerShot SX20 IS.

    Comments
  • St. Stephen Evangelical Lutheran Church, Homewood

    St. Stephen Lutheran Church

    Now the Homewood Church of Christ, a congregation that keeps the building in beautiful shape. Old Pa Pitt was out walking in Homewood a while ago when he spotted this church two blocks away. He immediately thought, “That looks like a Lutheran church designed by O. M. Topp.”

    Cornerstone with date 1916

    And so it was.1 The cornerstone, as we see, was laid in 1916, at a time when O. M. Topp was the favorite architect of Lutherans in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area. Lutheran churches from before the Second World War have a characteristic traditional church shape, like Catholic and Episcopalian churches but unlike the majority of Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist churches in our area. O. M. Topp’s designs for medium-sized churches like this one have a straightforward Gothic simplicity that marks them as his work.

    St. Stephen Lutheran Church
    St. Stephen Lutheran Church
    Side of the church

    Note the rectangular windows where most Gothic architects would place Gothic arches.

    Entrance
    Entrance
    Lantern
    St. Stephen Evangelical Lutheran Church, Homewood
    1. Source: Pittsburg Press, April 23, 1916, p. 20 “O. M. Topp has been selected to prepare plans for the rebuilding of a $40,000 church at Hamilton and Brushton aves., for the St. Stephens’ Evangelical Lutheran congregation.” ↩︎

    Comments
  • Corner Store in Homewood

    113 North Lang Avenue
    Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR.

    A typical Pittsburgh corner building—typical especially in that the corner is not a right angle. Some of the details are well preserved, including the elaborate decorative brickwork in the cornice and the signboard above the storefront, ready for some local artist to inscribe the next tenant’s name in paint.


    Comments
  • Belmar School, Homewood

    Belmar school, front elevation

    Thomas Cox McKee was the architect of this school, built in 1901. This Renaissance palace is probably his most important remaining work, now that the Shady Avenue Cumberland Presbyterian Church is gone. The school is no longer in use, so Father Pitt assigns it the Vulnerable label on his scale of Least Concern, Near Threatened, Vulnerable, Endangered, Critically Endangered, and Demolished.

    Windows of the school
    Lintel and wreath
    Pilaster and window
    Modernistic entrance
    Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR.

    A modernistic entrance is out of character with the main school, but it is probably better than a halfhearted attempt to match the original style.


    Comments
  • Victorian Store and Apartments in Homewood

    529–531 North Homewood Avenue

    A good example of the style old Pa Pitt thinks of as German Victorian, with heavily eyebrowed Rundbogenstil arches and prominent finials. It was probably built in the 1890s; it appears on plat maps in the early twentieth century (check the “1903–1906” box) as owned by L. Vilsack—almost certainly the Leopold Vilsack who was a prominent real-estate developer in the East End and one of the founders of Iron City Brewing, whose mausoleum in St. Mary’s Cemetery is in an exaggerated version of the same style. The windows have been filled in with new ones of the wrong size, and the ground floor has been altered (the storefront originally had a corner entrance), but most of the decorations that give the building its Victorian character have survived.

    Front elevation
    529–531 North Homewood Avenue
    529–531 North Homewood Avenue
    529–531 North Homewood Avenue
    Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR.

    Correction: When this article was first published, old Pa Pitt had negligently typed “Homestead” instead of “Homewood” in the headline. Thanks to a correspondent for pointing out the error.


    Comments
  • Who Really Designed Westinghouse High School? Well, It’s Complicated…

    Entrance

    According to Wikipedia and the National Register of Historic Places and the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation and numerous books and so on and so forth, the architects of Westinghouse High School were Ingham & Boyd. So you can just take the story as it comes to you, or you can can do what Father Pitt can’t stop himself from doing: keep pulling at a loose thread until the whole story unravels and has to be woven again.

    The loose thread was that old Pa Pitt kept running across construction listings that said George S. Orth & Brother were designing a Homewood-Brushton High School in the middle teens of the last century. For a long time Father Pitt had just assumed that the project fell through, and later Ingham & Boyd were hired to design the school that was actually built in 1921. But then he found this elevation of the school as designed by the Orths:

    1916 elevation of Westinghouse High School by George S. Orth and Brother
    Westinghouse High School

    It was printed in the Year Book of the Pittsburgh Architectural Club, Incorporated, for 1916—long before the current school was built in 1921. But even a casual glance shows that it is fundamentally the school that stands today. Details are different, but the three-arched entrance, the blank walls on the projections at the ends of the building, the exact number and proportion of the windows, and so on, are all the same.

    So why are the Orths not credited as the architects of Westinghouse?

    The Wikipedia article on Westinghouse High School explains it, though without mentioning the change of architects. Digging for the foundation of the school began in 1915, while the Orths were still frantically scribbling their final drawings. But then the bids from the construction contractors came in, and they were shockingly high. The school board decided to wait for a little bit. Then there was a big war, and the construction didn’t actually begin until 1921.

    So much we can learn from Wikipedia. The article does not mention the Orths, however, so it does not inform us that George S. Orth died in 1918, and Brother (his name was Alexander Beatty Orth) died in 1920. Having gone to a better place, the Orths were not inclined to finish the supervision of the project, so new architects had to be found. Enter Ingham & Boyd.

    Perspective view of the school

    Comparing the Orths’ drawing with the school as it stands shows us that Ingham & Boyd took over the original plans, but adapted them to their own taste. They made the design more rigorously classical, changed the partly brick walls to all stone, simplified the ornamentation, and added inscriptions (a typical Ingham & Boyd touch) to the blank walls. But the main outlines were already established by George S. Orth & Brother.

    Central section of the school
    Main entrance
    Entrance
    Row of urns
    Urn
    Side door
    Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR.

    Having sifted through the history of Westinghouse High School, we must say that Ingham & Boyd did the larger part of the work. They not only remade the plans in a more modern style, but also supervised the construction and dealt with the school board as the costs kept rising, which must have required patience and many soothing words.

    But the original design belongs to George S. and Alexander Beatty Orth, and they deserve the credit for it. It will probably take a long time for that truth to percolate through the many repositories of Pittsburgh architectural history. But, as the book of I Esdras says…

    The truth is mighty and will prevail
    Fujifilm FinePix HS10.

    Comments
  • Pittsburgh Meter Company, Homewood

    Pittsburgh Meter Company

    The Pittsburgh Meter Company building was put up at some time between 1910 and 1923, right beside the Brushton railroad yard, with a siding to serve the factory. It has been beautifully restored as the Sarah B. Campbell Enterprise Center, and it is filled with artists’ studios. One of the wonders of the big city is that we can find many buildings this size filled with artists’ studios; it reminds us why the word “civilization” means life in cities.

    Entrance to the Pittsburgh Meter Company
    Front elevation of the Pittsburgh Meter Company
    Art Nouveau decoration on the Pittsburgh Meter Company

    In the days when this building went up, it was usual for companies like this to make their main factory buildings as attractive as possible. The building itself was one of the chief advertisements for the firm, and an engraving of the building—sometimes exaggerated if the building was not as impressive as the company would like—appeared in advertisements and brochures as a guarantee that this was a solid and respectable business. Thus the entrance and the corners of this building are decorated with up-to-the-minute Art Nouveau geometric patterns in terra cotta.

    Another decorated corner
  • Meado’cots, Homewood

    Meado’cots

    Designed by our remarkable early modernist Frederick Scheibler, “Meado’cots” is an unusual set of terrace houses built in 1914—another Scheibler answer to the question of how to make cheap rows of houses architecturally attractive. It sat abandoned and boarded up for quite a while, but now it is inhabited and stable. The metal roofs on the central section and the cheap standard doors are not to old Pa Pitt’s taste, but they were within the budget of the new owner, and they keep the buildings standing and in good shape, with the potential for restoration with original materials later.

    Composite of the central section

    This composite of the central section from above parked-car level is made possible by a kind neighbor from across the street. He saw us struggling to hold the camera up at arm’s length and called down from a third-floor window to offer the use of his stairs for a better angle. Thank you, Homewood neighbor, for confirming Father Pitt’s impression that Homewood is a place where the neighborly virtues are strong.

    Meado’cots, end house
    Corner window

    Note the corner windows. They would become a badge of modernism in the 1940s, but here they are in 1912!

    Meado’cots
    Meado’cots
    Meado’cots