
Alden & Harlow were the architects of this classically symmetrical school, which was built in 1926. Alden had died in 1908, and Harlow had only another year to live (he died in 1927); it seems that by this time much of the design work in the firm was done by Howard K. Jones. The school now is kept in good shape as the home of various community services.




The 1920s were in the middle of the golden age of terra-cotta ornament.




The architects had a typically Pittsburghish lot to deal with, so the school has four floors above ground on the Wallace Avenue front and two in the rear on North Avenue.


The North Avenue entrance is reached by a bridge over a sort of trench that exposes the windows of the floor below.

Leave a Reply