This is not Father Pitt’s favorite building downtown, but it was one of the last works of a distinguished modern architect: William Lescaze, who died in 1969, the year after One Oliver Plaza was built. The building has had several names since then; it now goes by the name K&L Gates Center. Old Pa Pitt’s friend Dr. Boli has remarked that the names at the tops of the skyscrapers are a good index of who is most ruthlessly exploiting the masses at the moment. K&L Gates is a gigantic law firm.
One Oliver Plaza
Art Deco Christmas in the Koppers Building
The lobby of the Koppers Building is one of our richest Art Deco interiors, and here it is decorated for Christmas.
Oakland from Across the River
Views of central Oakland from the South Sides Slopes across the Monongahela. Above, the Cathedral of Learning and Litchfield Towers A, B, and C, or—as they have been known since they sprouted on the Oakland skyline—Ajax, Bab-O, and Comet.
A closer view of the Litchfield Towers.
The Cathedral of Learning and its neighborhood.
Elevator Door in the Koppers Building
Now known as Four Smithfield Street, this early skyscraper was designed by James T. Steen and opened in 1902.
Designed by Longfellow, Alden, and Harlow, this was our first steel-cage building and thus the seed from which dozens of skyscrapers grew.
Built in 1927, this Fourth Avenue tower was designed by John M. Donn, a Washington architect known for government buildings who seems not to have done anything else around here. The curious ornamental obelisks at the corners of the cap were the inspiration for Philip Johnson’s Tomb of the Unknown Bowler down the street.
Top of the Keystone Bank Building
The lower floors of this remarkable 1903 bank tower by MacClure and Spahr have been mutilated by modern additions, but from a block away on Forbes Avenue all we can see is the unmutilated top of the building, with its distinctive arched light well.
U. S. Steel Tower
Top of the Frick Building, Tower of the Courthouse
A little slice of skyline seen from the South Side Slopes.