One of many bridges around here designed by George S. Richardson, the Liberty Bridge opened in 1928, connecting the Liberty Tubes (which had opened four years earlier) directly to downtown. Here we see it from the south shore of the Mon.
The Manchester Bridge connected the Point with the North Side until 1969. When it was taken down, it left one looming black stone pier on the North Shore. After it had loomed for decades, architect Lou Astorino came up with the idea of transforming it into a memorial for Fred Rogers, with a colossal statue by Robert Berks framed by an oval cutout. Here we see the pier from across the river in Point Park.