Tag: North Avenue

  • Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Allegheny West

    Emmanuel Episcopal Church

    There is only one National Historic Landmark on the North Side, and this is it. Modest as it is, it would appear on many historians’ lists of the greatest American buildings of the nineteenth century. It is the other great work of Henry Hobson Richardson in Pittsburgh, after the Allegheny County Courthouse. One is sometimes tempted to say that it was ahead of its time (it was finished in 1886, when high Victorian style usually demanded a thick crust of ornamentation), but it would probably be better to say that it stands out of time. It is never stale, and yet it was never outrageously modern. It stands as an inspiration and a reproach to every other building.

    Emmanuel Episcopal Church

    It earns all those accolades from architects in spite of one serious engineering mistake. Those walls were not meant to lean outward the way they do. The weight of the huge roof pushed them out within a few years after the church was finished. The congregation called in Richardson’s old associates Longfellow, Alden & Harlow to see whether anything could be done, and their conclusion was that the structure was stable the way it was and should be left alone. A century and a third have proved them right.

    Side entrance
    Windows
    Dormer

    These simple triangular dormers are the single feature of this church most often directly imitated; compare, for example, the ones on St. Paul’s Episcopal on the Hill (designed by Elise Mercur), or the ones on the First United Presbyterian Church of Etna (Father Pitt hasn’t figured out the architect of that one yet), or the ones on the Watson Memorial Presbyterian Church on Observatory Hill (designed by Allison & Allison)—all direct quotations from Richardson’s dormers here.

    Emmanuel Episcopal Church
    Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR.
    Front elevation

    This front elevation is a 36-megapixel composite, so you can enlarge it and enjoy the details of the wonderfully varied brickwork that nevertheless seems natural and organic and avoids all suggestion of ostentation.


    Comments
  • Allegheny General Hospital, North Side

    Allegheny General Hospital

    The main tower of Allegheny General is one of the few classic skyscrapers outside downtown, and a landmark of Art Deco in Pittsburgh, as well as a landmark of the style Father Pitt calls Mausoleum-on-a-Stick, where the top of the tower is modeled after the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus. It was designed by York & Sawyer, who made a specialty of hospitals, and built in 1930. Today we’re going to pay particular attention to the grand entrance on North Avenue, which is covered with extravagant terra-cotta decorations, so we have more than thirty pictures to show you.

    Allegheny General Hospital
    Allegheny General Hospital from North Avenue
    Many more pictures…
  • Garden Theater, North Side, at Night

    Garden marquee

    The restoration of the Garden Theater, built in 1914 from a design by Thomas Scott, is nearly complete. The storefronts on North Avenue will be filled again for the first time in decades. Old Pa Pitt will try to get back when the rubbish bin is gone from the front, but these pictures give a good impression of how carefully the external appearance has been maintained and refreshed.

    Garden Theatre
    Garden sign
    Garden Theatre, front elevation

    We also have pictures of the Garden Theater in the daylight.

    Garden Theatre
    Sony Alpha 3000.

    Comments
  • International Harvester Building, North Side

    International Harvester Building

    International Harvester was a big maker of farm equipment, but also of trucks and sport utility vehicles before anyone knew that they were sport utility vehicles. This was the company’s facility in Pittsburgh, built right on the railroad near the North Side yards.

    Fortunately the building was never abandoned—it later became the headquarters of the Harry Guckert Company—so that it was in good structural shape when it was converted to loft apartments about two years ago, as we read in this article at Next Pittsburgh. The building is now on the National Register of Historic Places. According to a draft of the nomination, the architect was August C. Wildmanns.

    Logo of the International Harvester Corporation
    International Harvester building
    International Harvester building
    Kodak EasyShare Z981.

    Map.


    Comments
  • Third Ward School, Dutchtown

    Third Ward Public School

    Designed by Frederick Sauer, this school was called the Latimer School after Allegheny was conquered by Pittsburgh. It was built in 1898.

    Date stone with date 1898

    In the 1980s it was converted to apartments under the name “The School House.” As far as old Pa Pitt knows, this was the first major conversion of a disused school to apartments in the city, and it showed that the idea was viable.

    Entrance

    The school was converted to apartments in the age of Postmodernism, and the designer of this canopy cleverly made it a kind of abstracted projection of the original entrance. Father Pitt caught the fabric part of the canopy on a bad hair day.

    Romanesque capital
    Latimer School
    North Avenue side of the school
    Nikon COOLPIX P100.

    The North Avenue side.

    Map.


    Comments
  • Battle of the Dutchtown Lutherans

    Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Matthaeus Kirche

    On the corner of North Avenue and Middle Street stands this small but imposing German Lutheran church, built in 1877. Father Pitt is fairly sure the Lutherans have gone, though the church site (last updated in 2010) is still on line. The Urban Impact ministry remains.

    Front of the church
    Date stone: Die Deutsche Evang. Lutherische Matthaeus Kirche Gebaut A. D. 1877

    “St. Matthew’s German Evangelical Lutheran Church, built 1877.”

    Entrance

    Connoisseurs of such things will note that this is a church with the sanctuary upstairs.

    Tower

    The hefty tower was added in a burst of prosperity about 25 years after the church was built.

    From the east
    St. Matthew’s German Evangelical Lutheran Church

    Meanwhile, just across narrow Middle Street was a different kind of Lutheran church. And although old Pa Pitt gave this article a humorous headline, he is fairly sure there was no battle. Pittsburgh learned the virtue of tolerance: those other Lutherans across the street may be completely wrong about everything that is most important in life, but they’re our neighbors, and we wave to them when we see them on the street.

    St. Mark’s Lutheran Church

    St. Mark’s was built in 1892. After its Lutheran congregation left, it was a Church of God in Christ until a few years ago. It has recently been expensively refurbished and painted black (it used to be painted brick red). Old Pa Pitt has not heard who was responsible for the refurbishing, but all the stained glass was removed, which is often the sign of a Pentecostal congregation moving in.

    St. Mark’s

    Except for the loss of the glass, the church is in very good shape externally, and it is a fine example of Pittsburgh Rundbogenstil—the round-arched German style that mixes classical and Romanesque elements.

    St. Mark’s
    Nikon COOLPIX P100; Canon PowerShot SX150 IS.

    Comments
  • Russell H. Boggs House and Trinity Lutheran Church, Mexican War Streets

    Russell H. Boggs house

    Designed by Longfellow, Alden & Harlow very early in their practice, this house was built in 1888. For a long time it served as the parsonage for Trinity Lutheran Church next door, which created the odd spectacle of a church whose parsonage was taller and grander than the sanctuary.

    Trinity Lutheran Church

    If you look for downspouts on this house, you won’t find them. Oral tradition says that Mr. Boggs, one of the founders of the Boggs & Buhl department store, hated gutters; at any rate, his architects devised a system of internal drainage that, when it works, carries runoff through channels in the walls. When it doesn’t work, the grand staircase is a waterfall on a rainy day. When the church sold the house, the buyers had to spend a million dollars refurbishing it, and making the drainage system work again was where a lot of the money went. The house is now a boutique hotel under the name Boggs Mansion.

    Front of the house
    Russell H. Boggs house
    Kodak EasyShare Z981; Sony Alpha 3000.

    Comments
  • Allegheny YMCA, Mexican War Streets

    YMCA in lights

    A North Side landmark for just about a century now, the Allegheny YMCA on North Avenue was designed by R. Maurice Trimble and built in 1926. It did not hide its light under a bushel: the letters YMCA are picked out in light bulbs at the top of the North Avenue façade.

    Allegheny YMCA
    Allegheny YMCA
    Allegheny YMCA
    Allegheny YMCA entrance
    Entrance decorations
    Window
    Kodak EasyShare Z981; Sony Alpha 3000.

    Comments
  • Emich Apartments, Mexican War Streets

    Emich Apartments

    A grand apartment house that would have been grander before it lost its cornice in front. Another “Emich Apartments,” taller and grander, stood where Allegheny General Hospital is today; both were named for developer W. A. Emich. This one was built on the site of the old Second Ward School in the city of Allegheny.

    Front of the building

    Addendum: We are fairly sure that the architect was William Wolfshafer (sometimes spelled Wolfschaffer). Source: Record & Guide, November 8, 1899, p. 727. “William Wolfshafer, 6717 Kelly street, has prepared plans for a large apartment house, which will be erected on North Avenue Allegheny, for William A. Emrick [sic], 326 Fourth avenue. It will be handsomely finished, all modern improvements and cost about $75,000.”

    Entrance
    Ionic capital
    Kodak EasyShare Z981; Sony Alpha 3000.

    Comments
  • A Walk on North Avenue in Manchester

    1337 and 1339 West North Avenue

    A few weeks ago old Pa Pitt took a wintry walk on North Avenue (which used to be Fayette Street back when it did not run all the way through to North Avenue on the rest of the North Side). He took piles of pictures, and although he published four articles so far from that walk (one, two, three, four), there’s still quite a collection backed up waiting to be published. Thus this very long article, which is a smorgasbord of Victorian domestic architecture with a few other eras thrown in. Above, a pair of Italianate houses. They both preserve the tall windows typical of the high Italianate style; the one on the right still has (or has restored) its two-over-two panes.

    1334
    Many more pictures…