In Pittsburgh, the Egyptian style is almost always associated with the death business, so it is no surprise to learn that this little building was a monument dealer before it became Green Tree’s oddest office building. The fact that it sits directly across the road from the entrance to Chartiers Cemetery is another clue. It is right on the border of Green Tree, at the edge of a little neighborhood called Rook, which once had a station on the Wabash Pittsburgh Terminal Railway, and still has a large freight yard belonging to the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway.
This enormous tower is a favorite visual landmark for small-plane pilots. It’s visible from miles away on the ground, too, depending on where you may happen to be, and it’s the most distinctive feature of the otherwise rather generic suburban borough of Green Tree.
The borough seems to have decided on spelling the name “Green Tree” as two words, but it is pronounced as one word, and the main street of the borough is still spelled “Greentree Road.”
This spectacularly odd building houses the headquarters of M. S. Jacobs & Associates, an engineering firm. But the Egyptian style, and the location right across the street from the Chartiers Cemetery, tell us that it was originally in the death business; in fact, according to the all-knowing Internet, it was built in 1920 for a monument dealer.