Father Pitt

Why should the beautiful die?


Keech Block

Keech Block
This picture has been manipulated on two planes to match the perspective of the 1889 image below. It is no longer possible to stand in exactly the same place, because other buildings have sprouted in inconvenient places.

W. H. Keech was a dealer in furniture and carpets. In the 1880s he built this towering six-floor commercial palace on Penn Avenue at Garrison Place in the furniture district. The main part of the building has hardly changed since the photograph below was published in Pittsburgh Illustrated in 1889:

Keech Block

Probably in the 1890s, an addition was put on the right-hand side of the building, matching the original as well as possible.

Keech Block with addition

This building is festooned with decorative details in just the right places, including some Romanesque carved stone above the entrance. (Addendum: The architect of the original building and additions, including one to the right later destroyed by fire and another one after that, was James T. Steen, according to a plaque on the Conover Building three doors down, which was originally part of the expanded Keech Block.)

Detail of the Keech Block
Romanesque capital
Romanesque foliage
Fujifilm FinePix HS10.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *